Academic and Vocational Information Counsellor
ACADEMIC AND VOCATIONAL INFORMATION COUNSELLOR
DEPARTMENT: ADULT EDUCATION AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT
COMPETITION NUMBER: AVIC1404-01
STARTING DATE: FROM SEPTEMBER TO JUNE 30, 2015
The Kativik School Board provides education to the Inuit of Nunavik. Its facilities are located in the 14 communities on the Hudson and Ungava Bay coasts. Its administrative centre, presently located in Montréal, will ultimately be relocated in Nunavik.
FUNCTION & DUTIES:
Under the supervision of the Director of Adult & Vocational Training, the Counselor provides information, advice, help and guidance to students in the youth and adult sectors as well as those interested in becoming students, helping them to become familiar with academic and career paths that are available, so as to make informed choices.
Participates in developing and implementing an academic and vocational information service that meets the academic and administrative requirements of both the educational institutions and the school board. Keeps record of educational training request that are not offered by Adult Education in order to identify interests of the region.
• Provide career and technical-vocational training information to individuals and groups inside the community
• Participate in the planning and organization of the Career Week
• Guides the student in preparing and educational path, in identifying needs and also analyses the student record while taking into account aptitudes and interests.
• Prepares and conducts awareness, information and training activities intended for students so as to arouse their interest in the labor market, to motivate them in school and to assess the achievement of objectives.
• Plans, organizes and conducts academic and vocational information activities; works with other staff members to prepare and publish brochures and guides
• Ensures the organization and operation of a documentation center on the education community, career options and the labor market; finds, analyses and places references, databanks and online directories.
• Ensures the analysis, evaluation, coding and adaptation of academic and vocational information intended for students.
• Keeps abreast of labor market developments and programs using research and document review.
• Establishes and maintains relationships and collaboration with representatives of the labor market, educational institutions and other organizations that could be involved in providing guidance to students.
• Promotes the activities, programs and courses offered
• Responds to internal and external information requests.
• Informs and supports students in filling out applications for programs and financial aid.
• Prepares and updates files according to the rules defined by the school board.
First level University Degree in a relevant specialization.
The Board may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned qualifications if it finds a suitable candidate who is a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA) and who accepts, as a condition of employment, to follow a training plan determined by the Board.
• Fluency in Inuktitut and either French or English (spoken and written).
• Good communication skills with young people and adults, including listening skills. Maturity and the ability to work independently as well as to work effectively in a team are required.
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a counsellor or a related position in Nunavik.
• Frequent travel to Nunavik communities;
CLASSIFICATION / SALARY / BENEFITS:
Academic Training Counsellor / From $ 39 176 to $ 72 131 depending on qualification and experience.
Possible benefits for beneficiaries of JBNQA assigned in the Montreal head office:
• Rent subsidy allowance from $383 to $721 per month;
• Southern allowance: with dependents $12 509 / without dependents $7 819;
• Three 3 social trips to home community;
• Food cargo allowance 90kg per year;
• Other possible benefits.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS: 4:00 pm, August 22, 2014
SEND APPLICATION BY E-MAIL TO:
You must indicate AVIC1404-01 in the subject of the e-mail.
Human Resources Department
KATIVIK SCHOOL BOARD
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted
*The School Board reserves the right to submit the candidates to various tests intended to establish their skill level.
- Our organization
- Kativik School Board
- Commissioners’ council and executive committee
- General administration
- School operations department
- Regular Sector Schools
- Akulivik - Tukisiniarvik School
- Aupaluk - Tarsakallak School
- Inukjuak - Innalik School
- Ivujivik - Nuvviti School
- Kangiqsualujjuaq - Ulluriaq School
- Kangiqsujuaq - Arsaniq School
- Kangirsuk - Sautjuit School
- Kuujjuaq - Jaanimmarik and Pitakallak Schools
- Kuujjuaraapik - Asimauttaq School
- Puvirnituq - Ikaarvik and Iguarsivik Schools
- Quaqtaq - Isummasaqvik School
- Salluit - Pigiurvik and Ikusik Schools
- Tasiujaq - Ajagutak School
- Umiujaq - Kiluutaq School
- Complementary Services
- Education services
- Training and research
- Adult Education
- Human resources and payroll department
- Finance and technical services department
- Material resources department
- Post-secondary Studies
- Policies and directives
- Compassionate Schools
- Bulletin board
- Intranet login