FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION
Montreal, Qc. (December 7, 2017) – The members of the Kativik Ilisarniliriniq Council of Commissioners elected on November 15th are holding their first meeting this week in Montreal, from December 4 to 7.
During this first sitting of the Council of Commissioners, the Commissioners elected, from amongst themselves, the Kativik Ilisarniliriniq President, the Vice-President and two other members of the Executive Committee.
We are glad to announce the names of the incumbents:
- KI President and Executive Committee member: Robert Watt (Kuujjuaq)
- KI Vice-President and Executive Committee member: Alicie Nalukturuk (Inukjuak)
- Executive Committee member: Sarah Aloupa (Quaqtaq)
- Executive Committee member: Anthony Ittoshat (Kuujjuaraapik)
- The Kativik Regional Government representative and Executive Committee member remains Elena Berthe
* From left to right: Robert Watt, Alicie Nalukturuk, Sarah Aloupa, Anthony Ittoshat and Elena Berthe.
Kativik Ilisarniliriniq was created in 1975, under the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA). Since 1978, it has been the exclusive provider of educational services to all Nunavik residents. Under the JBNQA, the school board also acts as an institution with unique powers and jurisdiction geared towards the protection and development of the Inuit language, culture, and way of life, through the delivery of tailored educational services and programs. The education programs developed by the school board are offered in all schools of the 14 Nunavik communities, in Inuktitut as first language and in French and English as second languages. The school board operates 17 primary and secondary schools as well as 5 adult education centres and a pre-college facility. More information can be found at: www.kativik.qc.ca
— 30 —