Rewarding profession that suits empathetic, discreet and vigilant people. A job as a nurse requires excellent physical condition, good listening skills, a sense of initiative and good judgment.
A first in Nunavik, this program is offered in English and leads to a DCS .It features an innovative pedagogical approach, largely based on practice.
Get immersed in your studies, while living close to home, surrounded by your family and culture.
After completing their training and obtaining the DCS in Nursing, students must pass the OIIQ (Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec) exam to receive their permit to practice anywhere in Quebec.
Working as a nurse, you’ll be able to:
- Assess a person’s state of health
- Determine and carry out of the nursing care and treatment plan
- Provide nursing and medical care and treatment to maintain or restore health and prevent illness
- Provide palliative care
- Monitor the health condition of patients and keep patient records up to date
- Provide specialized care (dressings, blood pressure readings, blood tests, injections, etc.)
- Administer and adjust prescription medications
- Perform tests and therapies as prescribed by a physician
Applied learning in the health sector
Students will get a feel of their future work environment. Part of the learning modules will take place in clinical settings, with applied learning in real-life situations.
Practical learning modules may require students to spend short periods of time in a different Nunavik community. Travel to a location outside Nunavik may also be necessary for skills requiring resources unavailable on-site (for example: surgery or psychiatry).
This is made possible through a partnership with the following Nunavik health institutions:
- Inuulitsivik Health Centre (IHC)
- Ungava Tulattavik Health Center (UTHC)
Candidates must meet one of the criteria below.
Persons holding a Secondary School Diploma or a postsecondary diploma such as the Diploma of College Studies or a bachelor’s degree.
You are interested but don’t have the necessary prerequisites?
Register for the preparatory year offered in Kuujjuaq as of August 2022.
If you hold a Secondary School Diploma, you must also have completed the following secondary level courses:
- IV EST or SE – Secondary IV Environmental Science and Technology or Science and the Environment.
- V Chemistry – Secondary V Chemistry.
- Second language